Header and Nav Bar




Back to the Home Page
All About Moi
Our Story
Our Furry Family
Disclaimer: Not Really
Image Map

Friday, December 6, 2013

My Hippie Life

The other day at work, a co-worker and I were discussing the definitions of "hippie", "crunchy", "granola", and "tree-hugger". Whenever there is a confusing question, we turn to the most reliable source, urban dictionary.
I thought I was crunchy, but we determined that I'm granola. Here are some things I do you may not know about me which is how I came to be granola.

  • I love animals (who doesn't). I look for all natural products that are not tested on animals (just say no to L'Oreal). I won't wear fur and it makes me cringe when I see someone wearing it (It's gross if you think about how they kill them and there are so many nice faux furs out there).  I think I do have a few pairs of shoes though that have leather though.
  • Because of the previous bullet, I am pretty much a vegetarian. When we do eat/ buy meat, I try to look for organic, grass-fed, free-range meats (only fish, chicken, and sometimes pork). I hate the idea of those farms cramming all those poor animals in pens, treated bad, etc. etc. My husband loves a good steak though when we go out-I don't begrudge him thatust because it's not for me. 
  • I am concerned about the environment and try to do my part. Even when I was a little tyke watching Captain Planet, I created a recycle bag (yup, a paper bag) for my family to recycle. When we lived in Michigan and didn't have a single stream pick up recycling program like we do now, we sorted our recycling and took it to the recycling center (aka the dump). In our house now, just in case you're confused- we have 2 trash cans and one is clearly labeled for recyling. I am OCD and love my labelmaker too much.
  •  I love Dave Mathews Band and listen to "Dave Mathews Band" on Pandora all.day.long at work. (I don't think this is as bad as say Phish though). 
  • I only wear natural deodorant. I recently switched to Tom's. I was seriously considering making my own (but lazied out). I hate patchouli though, don't worry.

  • Not to get too politically involved here, but I am against any kind of discrimination. I have friends of all walks of life and I only wish for them happiness and the same opportunities that I have.
So there you have it. I'm granola. Don't worry though, I'm not obnoxious about stuff- I keep my nose out of other people's biz and I just try to be the healthiest I can be. What about you are you granola or any of the like?
Enjoy the weekend!






2 comments:

  1. I get really annoyed when people call me a hippie for recycling! I'm like uhhh no I'm just not an a-hole! I have no problem with the term hippie, but I think errrbody should be recycling these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So relate to the "I'm not obnoxious about stuff". We have been changing a lot about our lifestyle and I like to share it with people but I'm don't want them to think I'm judging them. We have been cleaning up all of our personal products and household products to ones with less chemicals (still replacing or finding the right fit on some). I highly recommend Schmidt's deodorant-it works just as good as the chemical stuff (really), I never thought I would get my husband to switch over but he tried it and was SOLD. He use to wear clinical strength and would have sweat spots (sorry for the TMI) but with this nothing. I make some my own products I shared a body butter I use on my blog and I also make beard oil and face oil.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments kind readers- prost!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...