Header and Nav Bar




Back to the Home Page
All About Moi
Our Story
Our Furry Family
Disclaimer: Not Really
Image Map

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Safety First

It is cold in DC, so I finally busted out my winder coat this morning.
Good thing, because the sadists at the Capitol Police office scheduled a fire drill today.
Fire drills at our office are a cluster-eff. I can say that because I am a(n unenthusiastic) Office Emergency Coordinator. AKA, the Safety Patrol. At my first job, I was also the safety person. I guess they like loud people (or great leaders ;) ) for this role.


This was me in the 5th grade, only I was a girl. With glasses & 80's clothing.

We have these big bookbags on wheels each room is supposed to carry out along with pagers that tell us what to do.
People are usually cranky, smoking, sneaking off to Starbucks (or home), and we always have someone "missing" (because they went to Starbucks).
I also take role outside, which is awesome. The first time we had a drill with my old boss (who was new)- she looked at my like I sprouted a third eye and asked what I was doing. Yes, I like to yell out peoples names in a parking lot.
Yes, we evacuate to the parking lot. Enclosed. Lots of gas tanks ready to catch fire at any moment.

My role also includes asking men (and women) for their personal phone numbers. I used to just walk up to a male contractor with my post it pad and ask "Can I get your mobile number?" After I got a few funny looks, I perfected my spiel and now open with, "In case of an emergency, I keep a list of alternate numbers..." If I was single, I would probably have to take Mystery's class on peacocking and scoring digits.

Remember this on VH1? How I miss it!

Although I jest fire drills and safety are important & I try to do a good job.  Stay safe & be prepared at work and home for an emergency :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments kind readers- prost!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...