Header and Nav Bar




Back to the Home Page
All About Moi
Our Story
Our Furry Family
Disclaimer: Not Really
Image Map

Monday, September 16, 2013

How to Get Your Party Organized



So this weekend was our housewarming party- yay! In order to not go crazy and/ or forget anything, I like to set up a little timeline for myself that goes a little something like this:

3 – 4 weeks before
  • Decide on a date/ time
  • Decide on theme & if you’re doing a meal, hors d'oeuvres, brunch, etc. 
  • Send out invitations (I use evite). People be busy yo’ and like to plan out their weekends accordingly.
2 weeks before
  • Plan the official menu (I usually have some ideas in my head)
  • Peruse Pinterest for ideas & what you want to make or do. I decided to use paint samples as food labels.
Weekend before the party
  • Review evite to get guest count and estimate for those that haven’t responded. You can always ask them too!
  • Make list of what to buy.
  • Go shopping (separate trip) for all the booze, food, and decorations you need. I like to do it separately so I can focus on my party alone and not get mixed up with “gosh, do we want lasagna for dinner – what do I need for that?”
  • Start a little pile of stuff in a designated area. I put decorations and non-perishables like red wine and bags of chips in that pile.
2 days before
  • Begin baking/ cooking items that will last. I did chocolate chip cookies and brownies since they will keep longer than chopped veggies.
  • Start cleaning areas that won’t get dirty like a guest room.
  • Pull out serving dishes & put them in your “pile” (AKA as my squirrel stash). That way you know what’s going where. 


1 day before
  • Prep other items that will last. I made the bottom layer of my 7 layer taco dip and cooked the bacon wrapped lil’ smokies and refrigerated them.
  • Keep on cleaning and hiding junk in the closets :)
  • Begin to chill wine, sodas, beer if you aren’t doing an ice bucket.
3-4 hours before
  • Finish cooking, chopping fruit & veggies, etc. 
  • Set the table if you are having formal dining.
2 hours before
  • Get yourself ready. I made the mistake to get ready first thing in the morning and spelunked fruit tea all over my shirt I was planning on wearing :/
1 hour before
  • Set out serving dishes, start warming up any crock pot items.
Party time! Guests arrive!
  • Pull out refrigerated items and then have fun!
  • Don’t forget to take pictures or ask for a friend to take some for you. I of course have no pictures except for the one prep pic :/
I follow this formula for Thanksgiving dinners to smaller brunches.
How do you plan for a party?
Any tips or tricks for an awesome party?

2 comments:

  1. i love the idea of paint chips for a house warming party!! so genius! I survive planning events by making zillions of lists!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I'd had this list a couple of weeks ago when we were planning our housewarming party. I typically just come up with way too many ideas and rush around last minute until everything gets (or doesn't) done. I actually posted about housewarming party game ideas I had today (that didn't get finished in time). http://talenttoplay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments kind readers- prost!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...