Header and Nav Bar




Back to the Home Page
All About Moi
Our Story
Our Furry Family
Disclaimer: Not Really
Image Map

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Southern Ladies

This morning, three sweet, older ladies boarded the Metro and I immediately thought, they are from the South. How did I know? They were all matched perfectly head to toe in pastels, full makeup, and their hair was done (big).

My mom grew up in CA, but is now a Southern lady (see, pearls all the time).

Pastels all the time. The ladies on the Metro were worse with pastel, plaid capris.
P.S. this was Savannah, GA, one of my fav Southern places.

One sat next to me and  her friends were in front of and behind us. When they spoke, their accents gave them away. I of course spoke to them.
I told them the river we were crossing was the Potomac, asked where they were from (Louisiana), and wished them a fun trip. They said everyone was so nice and helpful here (ha- it must have been their first day and I was the only DC person they met).

Anyway, before I starting chatting, I was reading a great book about the South (Texas)- Roses. So here are some of my recommendations for gettin' a lil' South in your life without buying pastel plaid capris.

Books:
Roses by Leila Meacham - Texas plantation, love, drama, war, very Gone with the Wind.
Anything by Mary Kay Andrews. I just finished Summer Rental, which was excellent, but my favorite has to be Savannah Blues (probably because it takes place in Savannah which I love).
The Help by Kathryn Stockett - there's the movie too ;)


Movies:
Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil (or the book, but I haven't read it)
Lifetime's remake of Steel Magnolias or the classic Steel Magnolias
Another classic- Fried Green Tomatoes


Recipes:
I wish I was a better Southern food cook, but it's too un-healthy for me to make it really delicious.
My all time fav- Red velvet cake.
Fried okra or try a light fried okra recipe.
Great for a party! Serve like a dip with crackers: bacon pimiento cheese


I die!
What are your favorite Southern things?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments kind readers- prost!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...