Header and Nav Bar




Back to the Home Page
All About Moi
Our Story
Our Furry Family
Disclaimer: Not Really
Image Map

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Savin' Benjamins

How are your New Year's resolutions coming along? Mine was to save money this year.
Here's where we are at almost halfway;

1. Save money by:
  • Getting rid of unwanted mo. expenses- done!  We cancelled the newspaper that we didn't read that much, and called the cable company and negotiated a better deal.
  • Track monthly- done/ doing! I have been tracking our expenditures in this spreadsheet template, which helps to see where you're spending. 
  • Tighten variables like clothing & groceries- work in progress. We are still absurdly over what we should spend on groceries, but I haven't got any new clothes in a while (not counting gift cards I've gotten ;))
image
Yeaaaa, doin' pretty good so far. 

2. Become a home owner- wow, did that!
3. Have a baby- not quite yet, gotta get the house first ;) I wanted to save $1000/ month, but it's been less than that. To be fair we started paying more on student loans and credit cards.

Here are some of my favorite ways to save when shopping;
Gift Card Granny website. Stores like Marshall's or TJ Maxx rarely have coupons, but you can save some $ by buying someone else's unwanted gift card or merchandise credit.

For the stores that do take coupons (Kohl's, Macys, World Market), I love the Retail Me Not app.
I just type in the store before I check out & voila! For those of you without an iPhone, you can go to their website & print off the coupons before you shop.

Happy shopping y'all!



3 comments:

  1. We've been doing better. I gained a lil weight and HAD to go shopping, but other than that, we are trying to stay on target. With all those camping expenses, it was touch and go for a while. Spreadsheets are the best thing because they help you see how much you have and what you spend it on.

    Student loans? Ugh. Don't get me started. :) I didn't have any, but mu husband had enough for three people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am soooo talented at blowing my money! I am proud of you and your husband...it is not easy to cut back and save, but so worth it! I did make a spread sheet back in jan, I just havent used it :) maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to get better at getting rid of the random expenses and reigning in my grocery bill!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments kind readers- prost!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...